Alopecia of Eyelashes
It is said that the eyes are the windows of the soul and the frame in which these windows are located is of great importance. Therefore, all women want to have long and thick eyelashes. But we need eyelashes not only for beauty, they perform an essential function namely protecting the eyes from dust, foreign objects as well as even insects. On average, a person has from 150 to 400 eyelashes on the upper eyelid, half as many on the lower eyelid.
Loss of eyelashes is a natural renewal process and normally up to 4-5 eyelashes fall out from each eye every day, and about the same number begins to grow.
If the process of loss is more intense, then it is worth showing concern in order to identify the cause in a timely manner and start treatment.
Possible causes of eyelash loss:
- Alopecia Areata is an autoimmune disease, most often causes hair loss on the head, but can be combined with the loss of eyelashes and eyebrows, and there are also localized forms with loss of only eyelashes. In these cases, one should immediately contact a trichologist to prevent the development of the disease.
- Hypothyroidism is a lack of thyroid hormones. May lead to diffuse hair loss on the head, body, eyelashes, and eyebrows. In this case, it is recommended to seek help from an endocrinologist.
- Trichotillomania means pulling out or plucking hair most often in easily accessible areas (frontoparietal zone of the scalp, eyebrows, and eyelashes). Basically, the disease develops against the background of stress.
- Blepharitis is the inflammation of the eyelids. The causative agents can be viruses or bacteria. It is characterized by redness, swelling of the eyelids, itching, and fatigue of the skin of the eyelids. An ophthalmologist can prescribe treatment.
- Allergy to cosmetics, skin care products.
- Malnutrition: deficiency of vitamins, microelements, and proteins.
The beauty of eyelashes depends on the general condition of the body, so a healthy lifestyle, good nutrition, and timely treatment of diseases are very important.
In case of any of the listed issues, it is recommended to do a permanent eyeliner at the lashline, for a fuller eyelash effect. This will definitely help the person with these issues to feel more confident and comfortable after loss of eyelashes.